Stein am Rhein is a municipality in the canton of Schaffhausen in Switzerland. In or around 1007 Emperor Henry II moved St George’s Abbey from its former location on the Hohentwiel in Singen to Stein am Rhein, at that time little more than a small fishing village on the Rhine. He gave the abbots extensive rights over Stein and its trade so that they could develop it commercially. Stein am Rhein rapidly became a flourishing and prosperous town which in the 15th century was itself (if briefly) granted reichsfrei status. The town has a well-preserved medieval centre, retaining the ancient street plan. This city is the largest street mural in the world, the medieval capital of street art. But unlike graffiti modern cities, the paintings were created on behalf of landlords, by the way competition for the most beautiful facade. The creator of the majority of the frescoes was a German painter Thomas Schmede. They were created in the years 1520-1525. Painted houses rise on the Town Hall Square. It is interesting to analyze the frescoes that depict biblical stories or scenes from everyday life.